July 12, 2012

I'll Be Watching You













We had to say goodbye to our beloved Oscar on Sunday. He fell over the weekend, and wasn't able to get back up. While he still played, picked on the other animals, and smiled, his arthritis became to much for him, and for us. It was, hands down, one of the hardest things we've ever done. I would say next to saying goodbye to my brother, this was a close second. He went peacefully, without any pain or suffering. The kids are grieving, but doing okay. I promised AJ I would make a shadow box with his things. The animals are also grieving. Tai Chi now spends time in Oscar's empty kennel, and Sam refuses to eat or drink, and vomits constantly. We hope that the next few days/weeks bring some closure for all of us. We haven't discussed getting another dog yet, but I believe that Sam needs a buddy. Him and Oscar were ALWAYS together, being in the kitchen, kennel(s), sleeping, and in the backyard for hours. Oscar changed Sam for the better, and I worry deeply for him. We are also getting a very nice urn to keep in the house, as well as paw prints for all of us. Here's some pictures of his last 24 hours. The one in the car was his last picture. He was, obviously, the last one smiling. I'll never regret allowing Jim to have his favorite dog back, after have leaving him at his ex's house, who didn't want to keep him anymore. We'd already had a puppy and a cat, so I was tense about it, but I let him have his best friend back. Best decision ever. Hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!