August 6, 2012

Resurfacing AJ's Desk and Trash Can

So, we'd bought AJ a loft bed a while back, since she'd outgrown her hand-me-down daybed. The desk part of it was disgusting. We tried vinegar, bleach, stripping the coating, sanding...NOTHING took the grossness off, plus it became sticky in some spots. :( I told her that I'd try to fix it. I'd found a bunch of ideas online, including painting it, using contact paper, shelf liner. She wants a pink and black zebra room when we get the third bedroom built and she moves into the bigger room, so I tried to find that. Her and I went shopping for days, I spent hours and hours online, and I came up with nothing. We were getting ready to have a garage sale, and her Dora trash can that she's had since she was 2 was one of the hot items. :) I thought, why not try to turn that into zebra print and save some money? One day, I was at Target (shocker!), and I ran into pink and black zebra duct tape. I thought, why not?  Jim and I did her trash can, which was interesting, as it kept bubbling and creasing, but you can't tell unless you're holding it up to your nose. She really liked that, even though her zebra print part will be black and white with pink accents. This was the closest I could find. Then I thought, what if I try it on her desk? I ended up needed to buy another roll, but it worked really well! You can tell along the edges, as the tape was VERY hard to cut straight, but she really likes it. It's not quite even on the back on the bottom shelf, but she said she didn't care, and that she loved it. She'd had a regular computer chair that came with the bed, but it was falling apart. I was planning on reupholstering it, but during the garage sale, my mom and I were shopping on Craigslist :), haha...and found a zebra saucer chair to replace her princess chair that had ripped so we sold it. My mom went out and got it for her, and the lady threw in this cute little chair with it, and AJ LOVES it, even though it doesn't roll or have armrests. lol :) 
Before.....
 




.

2 comments:

Thanks for your comment!