Retail:
$298.47 (We pay $74.62) for a 90-day supply
Mail-Order:
$277.17 (We pay $69.29) for a 90-day supply
Okay, so that's not TOO bad....but I would have to supplement with 3mg more of Folic Acid...at least that's what my perinatologist recommended. I don't know how much that is, but I doubt it's very high.
Heparin
This is a bit more tricky, as I would have different doses for each trimester. He said 5,000 units for the first, 7,500 for the second, and 10,000 for the third. I would need two doses, one every twelve hours. They also said that I would need more lab draws at least bi-weekly, if not weekly with Heparin vs. Lovenox, though they couldn't give me an explanation as to why. Anyway, trying to price Heparin on the insurance website is a bitch, and when Jim called the company to infer about the prices and doses, they were quite confused. They told him it would be somewhere around $10 a month, but I don't buy that, since the first lady he'd talked to said Lovenox would be $16 a month, then someone else said that it was $16 per injection (just a little over). Uh huh. Heparin is a bit more dangerous and has more side effects, from what I've read....so I'm not sure on what to do. I want what's best for my well-being, as well as the baby's. If anyone has had experience with Heparin or both, please let me know your thoughts and experiences! I would love to hear about the differences.
Here's a chart I'd found regarding Neevo DHA, which kinda sums it up. I found it on the Neevo DHA Website
The mutation C677T makes it so that the body cannot fully process folic acid. L-methylfolate, which is the active form, is available through Neevo DHA, which decreases the chances of homocysteine levels increases. However, my perinatologist said that I would still require additional folic acid. Since discovering this little prenatal vitamin, I'd found that MANY women, some of whom have at least one of the mutations, are not covered with insurance for this and had to pay 100%, which is VERY expensive. I'm glad that it isn't TOO bad for me, however, the Lovenox would be a deal-breaker. I don't feel like planning my own funeral anytime soon....so I'm still pretty irritated with the insurance companies right now. Hopefully we will find a better suited one for us next year and we can start planning more. :S
EDIT:
Here's my original post with the Lovenox prices...just to give you an idea if you didn't already see it...
"So, I looked into the prices for Lovenox. This is the quote I received from the insurance company:
Mail-Order:
Brand-$3084.26
Generic-$2523.29
Retail:
Brand-$3073.33
Generic-$2462.50
These are for 3-month supplies. Out-of-pocket for us would be $600, no matter what. Gah!"
.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment!