September 27, 2012

Would Somebody Tell Me What The Eff Is Going On?

So, I finally spoke with my perinatologist's nursing coordinator last week. I asked questions about the Heparin and labs, since the others nurses in the clinic couldn't answer my questions. Now, I know that Heparin is very unstable, unlike Lovenox. There is a risk of developing what is known as "HIT," or Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. For those of us that work in the medical field, when you hear "HIT," you think, "Oh, SHIT!" In other words, it ain't good. :) So, with that in mind, I was discussing my concerns with the nursing coordinator. She said that we would NOT be doing weekly OR bi-weekly labs; they would only be done with each dose change (i.e. every trimester). Um, what?! A.) That is NOT what I was told in the first place by YOUR staff. B.) That is just plain effing stupid. C.) That is effing SCARY! I mentioned this to a couple of staff that I have worked with in hematology, and THEY found it to be preposterous, as well! Trust me, I would MUCH RATHER be on Lovenox, but given the cost difference, I don't think we can afford it, at least not with this insurance that we currently have. However, I WAS thinking that, with the labs that I would be getting (or so I thought), the cost may be a wash in the long-run. Now, it's not looking that way. :( The only other thing I can think of doing is calling my hematologist (VOID help me), and see what his opinion is on the matter. Perhaps I would get labs done through him instead?! Here's a nice journal article I'd ran across on HIT, in case anyone is interested! Enjoy! 


Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!